Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: Altova XMLSpy "phones home" user data

From: Alexander Falk <al () altova com>
Date: 5 Dec 2003 09:48:47 -0000

"Bruno" == Bruno Lustosa <bruno () lustosa net> writes:

   Bruno> ... whenever someone will launch XMLSpy, the
   Bruno> program will try to connect to Altova's servers, send some
   Bruno> user info through a POST to a web server, and wait for a
   Bruno> response.

That is correct, this is a process described in our EULA in Section 1(k) Software Activation and Section 1(l)
LiveUpdate. Please see our EULA for details, which is available on our website under this URL:
http://www.altova.com/order_license4.html

   Bruno> What bothers me is that
   Bruno> it's sending user information that was _not_ entered into the
   Bruno> program. It sends user name used to register the program, and
   Bruno> it also sends an email address that I'm almost sure was not
   Bruno> entered into the program.

This is incorrect insofar as the information transmitted is data that has been entered by the user into the
Registration dialog (Help menu / Registration). This does include the e-mail address, provided that the user has
entered this into the Registration dialog when requesting an evaluation key-code from our license server.

Regarding the collection of e-mail addresses from users of our software, who are requesting an evaluation key-code,
please see our strict privacy policy, which is available at this URL: http://www.altova.com/privacy.html

Altova takes privacy and security very seriously, and we believe we have properly disclosed any legitimate anti-piracy
measures in our product in the EULA.

Sincerely,

Alexander Falk
President & CEO