Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: Netscape Communicator 4.x sensitive informations in configuration file

From: psz () maths usyd edu au (Paul Szabo)
Date: Sat, 1 Mar 2003 10:03:17 +1100 (EST)

Byron York <byron () benefitrecovery com> wrote:

... I've checked a file named prefs.js ...
the IMAP mail part ... shows the unencrypted password ...

user_pref("mail.imap.server.imap.computec.ch.password", "MyPassword4");
user_pref("mail.imap.server.imap.computec.ch.remember_password", true);

This is also true for POP3 and perhaps for SMTP, NNTP and LDAP
passwords. The passwords are only stored if the remember password option
is set (e.g. line 18).

It may be possible to extract these passwords during a sneaking access
to the system (local or remote by a backdoor)[1, 2] or examine a backup.
This weakness should be keeped in mind.

I'm not sure if this vulnerability exists in other Netscape versions
(e.g. 6 or 7).

[1] http://www.idefense.com/advisory/11.19.02c.txt
[2] http://www.securityfocus.com/bid/6215

We use Netscape 4.74 with roaming profiles using POP3, and my prefs.js file
keeps the password hidden:

user_pref("mail.pop_name", "byron");
user_pref("mail.pop_password", "encryptedstuff");
user_pref("mail.remember_password", true);

I am not sure if the encryption is turned on someplace, but I suspect it is
on by default, for it is definitely there for all of our POP clients using
4.74.

That is not encryption, but reversible obfuscation. Look in the Netscape
source code for how to decode that: Netscape is able to do it and send the
clear-text password to the POP server.

Do not allow Netscape (or other utilities, e.g. Eudora) to remember your
passwords.

Cheers,

Paul Szabo - psz () maths usyd edu au  http://www.maths.usyd.edu.au:8000/u/psz/
School of Mathematics and Statistics  University of Sydney   2006  Australia