Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: More information regarding Etherleak

From: Peter Turczak <p_turczak () wiwa de>
Date: Sat, 11 Jan 2003 00:24:49 +0100

On Friday 10 January 2003 18:02, Ofir Arkin wrote:
Who is vulnerable?
------------------
Josh Anderson and I tested several Ethernet cards and device drivers.

We have found several device drivers which are vulnerable but we never
attempted to find them all. It is simply because there are too many.
Therefore we have contacted CERT more than 6 months ago and sent them
the Etherleak paper and asked them to contact OS manufactures, Network
device manufactures, Chipset manufactures, motherboard manufactures and
other manufactures and vendors who might need to check their device
driver's implementations.

In our tests we have experienced this bug under 4 different operating
systems:

- Linux
- NetBSD
- FreeBSD
- Microsoft Windows

I audited our system running under various operating systems.
The following OS do _not_ pad the packets with zero but something else, if
anybody is interested in the dumps of the frames produced while testing, feel
free to contact me.

Machine         OS              Version

IBM iSeries     OS/400
IBM RS/6000     AIX             4.3
Sun E450                Solaris 8
HP Printers             JetDirect       Various

Identification of the vunerability was done by "ping -s1 <host>" and analysing
the resulting answers using ethereal, looking if the ethernet trailer was
different from all zero.

Greetings

   Peter Turczak

- --