Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: man-db[] multiple(4) vulnerabilities.

From: Colin Watson <cjwatson () debian org>
Date: Wed, 30 Jul 2003 22:36:23 +0100

In article <20030729210308.15518.qmail () www securityfocus com>
on chiark.mail.bugtraq, Vade 79 wrote:

[...]

Thank you for reporting these vulnerabilities in man-db. However, I'm
disappointed that you neither informed me a little beforehand so that I
wasn't taken by surprise by your BugTraq post (preferable), nor sent a
copy of your report to me as the maintainer of man-db (which I would
regard as the minimum of common courtesy). Fortunately, a friend brought
your post to my attention this morning so that I could begin preparing
patches, a little later than I would otherwise have been able to do.

Please inform the maintainer in future. The BugTraq guidelines suggest a
one-week notice period, although in fact I'd personally have been happy
with a few days.

[part 1: add_to_dirlist() buffer overflow]

man-db contains a buffer overflow vulnerability do to the lack of bounds
checking in multiple sscanf() calls.  which formats the user supplied file
~/.manpath.
[...]
as you can see; MANDATORY_MANPATH, MANPATH_MAP, and MANDB_MAP do not
properly limit the value written to key[50], and/or cont[512]).  however,
as far as exploitation by overflowing those buffers goes is limited.  this
is do to the way the buffers are allocated in memory, so when
overwritten, will just overwrite into another character buffer.

but, this is not all in vain.  do to the size of buf[BUFSIZE], which is
8192 bytes(standard), and what key/cont overwrites into.  you can pass
enormously long values(~8192) to other functions.  as most checks are done
before-hand, and almost all buffers in the program are allocated to 4095
bytes; you can make the overflow occur, in many locations, elsewhere in
the program.

I've fixed the sscanf() invocations so that these arrays aren't
overflowed. Other PATH_MAX-sized buffers will take a little more work,
but I'll look at them.

[part 2: ult_src() buffer overflow]

man-db contains a buffer overflow vulnerability do to the size of a buffer
being half the size it should be(doesn't follow the 4096 trend), for a
"path".

Fixed by allocating this buffer dynamically instead.

[part 3: ".so" link buffer overflow]

man-db contains a buffer overflow vulnerability do to the lack of bounds
checking for ".so" link/redirection manpages.  this occurs when the
function attempts to change memory, without re-calculating the
size.

Fixed in the process of fixing part 2 above, by causing the function in
question to return a newly allocated string rather than doing that
grotty hack of writing into a string allocated elsewhere without
reallocation.

[part 4: PATH/MANPATH argument overflow]

man-db contains a buffer overflow vulnerability do to the lack of bounds
checking for the amount PATH/MANPATH values given.  the bug is found in
multiple routines.

proof/to test for vulnerability existence:
# man -M `perl -e 'print"/tmp:"x260'` x
Segmentation fault

On my machine it seems to require 432 elements or more, but anyway. I've
applied a stopgap measure for now, namely to check whether the number of
elements in MANPATH is going to overflow the list holding them. I'll add
proper dynamically resized arrays later when I have a little more time.

These fixes are in savannah.nongnu.org CVS for now; I'll prepare a
release for Debian unstable tonight and if possible Debian stable as
well. A full 2.4.2 release will have to wait a little longer, but should
be within the week.

Cheers,

--
Colin Watson                                       [cjwatson () debian org]