Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: question about oracle advisory

From: "David Litchfield" <david () ngssoftware com>
Date: Sat, 26 Jul 2003 13:05:03 +0100

Hello all,
In our testing this bug can be exploited without a user ID and password. In
fact I demonstrated exploit code for this vulnerability at the Blackhat
Security Breifings in Amsterdam in the May of this year. [Normally I don't
do such demonstrations unless a patch is available for a problem. Oracle had
informed me a patch would be available in time, but I think they found some
regression problems with the patches or something along those lines and were
unable to release the patch. We initially informed Oracle about this issue
around the end of September/start of October 2002.]

So, to put the record straight, as far as NGSSoftware is concerned, this bug
_can_ be exploited without a user ID and password.

Oracle customers can either install the patch [Patch matrix available from
http://otn.oracle.com/deploy/security/pdf/2003alert57.pdf]
Alternatively customers can disable external procedure functionality. To do
this edit the listener.ora file, removing the entries for extproc, and also
delete the extproc binary which can be found in $ORACLE_HOME/bin

Thanks,
David Litchfield
NGSSoftware Ltd
http://www.ngssoftware.com/