Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: bsdbsdftpd-6.0-ssl-0.6.1-1 attack allows remote users identification

From: NetExpress <netexpress () tiscali it>
Date: Fri, 16 May 2003 23:47:14 +0200

Damian Gerow wrote:

Thus spake NetExpress (netexpress () tiscali it) [16/05/03 16:42]:
Product bsbsdftpd-6.0-ssl-0.6.1-1 http://bsdftpd-ssl.sc.ru/

During a pen-test we have notice how is easy to identify valid users on
vulnerable systems, through a simple timing attack.

When I try to connect to ftp without ssl using a unreal user with bad password I get
immediatly response of incorrect login, when I use real user with bad
password I get 2 second of wait before get message of incorrect login.

It seems to be very nice to the recent CAN-2003-0190 about OpenSSH/PAM
timing attack allows remote users identification

I have tested this on Linux RH 7.3 and RH 8.0

I just tried this out on a FreeBSD system (4.8-RC x2), and I get the same
response time.  Are you sure this is directly related to the ftp daemon, or
is it a PAM issue?
You are right, is the same preoblem has affected OpenSSH/PAM timing attack about which Marco Ivald from MediaService has post the bug and the solution.

I have been in touch with Marco Ivaldi, he has found that is the same kind of problem, an the same soltion, but is not really goot to get this problem on the default installation . I mailed to the author but I get no response

For the solution follow the same present on http://lab.mediaservice.net/advisory/2003-01-openssh.txt

Alessandro Fiorenzi