Bugtraq mailing list archives

RE: Gamespy uses DMCA to destroy bug research and full disclosure

From: "Ed Carp" <erc () pobox com>
Date: Wed, 12 Nov 2003 15:19:50 -0600

Universal vs. Reimerdes Case Details
DeCSS is a program designed to circumvent CSS (Content Scramble System),
which is the technology that motion picture studios (I.e.,
Universal) place
on DVDs to prevent the unauthorized viewing and copying of motion
pictures.
CSS allows DVDs to be played on computers and DVD players, but does not
allow the copying or manipulation of a DVD's contents.

DeCSS decrypts the CSS protection mechanisms, thus allowing the
copying of a
DVD's contents onto a computer system for full manipulation and
copying of
the newly created (and very large) computer file. The large file can be
compressed using a freely available compression application
entitled "DivX"
that allows for the transfer of the compressed file back onto a DVD, or
across the Internet. DeCSS was marketed for the playing of DVDs
on multiple
platforms, as well as for the copying of DVDs. The writers of DeCSS claim
that their intention was to produce a program that allowed DVDs
to be played
on the Linux operating system (something that was not available at that
time).

It is extremely important to point out that DeCSS, or any other decryption
software, does not "permit" the copying of a protected DVD any more than the
gas pedal on your car "permits" you to speed.  DeCSS has nothing to do with
the ability to copy a DVD, but affects the ability to view the DVD on an
operating system other than what was originally intended.

In fact, I can copy DVDs to my hard drive all day long, without any special
hardware or software - all I have to do is open Windows Explorer, select the
DVD-ROM drive, and drag-and-drop all those nice big .vob files to my hard
drive.  If I want to burn those files to another DVD, nothing prevents me
from doing so, and certainly not CSS.  I could burn 100 copies of my brand
new Terminator 3 DVD, and CSS has nothing to do with it.

I would think this point would be obvious, but you'd be surprised how often
I've had to point this out to talk show hosts.