Bugtraq mailing list archives

RE: [Full-Disclosure] Re: Serious flaws in bluetooth security lead to disclosure of personal data

From: "Schmehl, Paul L" <pauls () utdallas edu>
Date: Fri, 14 Nov 2003 12:38:50 -0600

-----Original Message-----
From: full-disclosure-admin () lists netsys com
[mailto:full-disclosure-admin () lists netsys com] On Behalf Of
srenna () vdbmusic com
Sent: Friday, November 14, 2003 7:30 AM
To: Adam Laurie; Pentest Security Advisories;
bugtraq () securityfocus com; full-disclosure () lists netsys com
Subject: Re: [Full-Disclosure] Re: Serious flaws in bluetooth
security lead to disclosure of personal data

Are you aware of any very informative papers or tools(other
than btscanner) for use in testing bluetooth networks(such as
Airsnort).  From what I know about it thus far, it just
operates in the same spectrum as 802.11b, but I'm still
researching.  I'm very interested in observing traffic
patterns and analyzing what is exactly happening.  I do
analysis for a living and it's a new area that no one really
at my position has an experience in(even though it's been
around for a while).  My idea is to research how far a
bluetooth signal will travel when leaving a building as we
want to set up a test lab and do not want people sitting
outside to be able to detect any of it.  We've looked into
doing this with 802.11b standard before but we cannot find a
way to mute the signal enough to meet our needs.

Bluetooth is *supposed* to be very short range - 10 meters is supposed
to be the maximum range.  It is *not* 802.11b.  It's 802.15.1.  See
bluetooth.org for the details.

Paul Schmehl (pauls () utdallas edu)
Adjunct Information Security Officer
The University of Texas at Dallas