Bugtraq mailing list archives

IE 5.x keep-alive session hijacking

From: "Domas Mituzas" <Domas.Mituzas () microlink lt>
Date: Tue, 2 Sep 2003 12:17:41 +0300

Hi,

sorry for being innacurate, but I noticed that our transparent-proxy system is trying (and even to succeeds at some
level) to hijack client http connections. I asked users to supply us with their browser versions, and all of resulted
answers were MS Internet Explorer. I didn't have too much time to investigate this issue, but here's how I imagine the
problem. The transparent reverse proxy provides with Proxy-Connection: header, that can be misinterpretated by MSIE, so
the browser software directs all further requests via proxy solution. It is possible to answer positively to any
request, so browser continues to use proxy server transparently. Though, we've got ACLs forbidding such usage of our
proxy servers, one can use such MITM attack to get cookies, input data, etc. Possibly that can be caused sometimes on
other browser configurations as well.

Best regards,
Domas Mituzas
MicroLink Data