Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: MD5 To Be Considered Harmful Today

From: Dan Kaminsky <dan () doxpara com>
Date: Wed, 08 Dec 2004 14:23:11 -0800

:~/misc/md5$ cat msg1
I agree to sell you my horse ^Fita^, its saddle and harness for price   14000 dollars. Signed Bara

Except you can't do this, since the appended data needs to be identical between the two files. That's why I used the encrypted payload -- it ties the semantic meaning of the embedded commands to posession of vec1's series of bits, which is of course what a cipher is meant to do.

Your payloads differ but the above line is incorrect. Your actual appended files:

$ cat msg1
[terminal garbage]I agree to sell you my horse ^Fita^, its saddle and harness for price 1 000 dollars. Signed Bara

$ cat msg2
[slightly different terminal garbage]I agree to sell you my horse ^Fita^, its saddle and harness for price 1 000 dollars. Signed Bara

--Dan