Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: RFC: virus handling

From: Casper Dik <casper () holland sun com>
Date: Tue, 03 Feb 2004 23:57:06 +0100

-----Original Message-----
From: Daniele Orlandi [mailto:daniele () orlandi com]

I use amavisd-new which has support for listing viruses/worms
that fake
the sender's email address. Unfortunatelly the list is external to the
actual virus scanner and has to be updated manually.

Given that the majority of new viruses forge the sender's email address, I
think the reverse would make more sense -- have a list of viruses that
*don't* forge, and only send notifications for those.

Considering that virus scanners still operate using signatures,
it seems logical to include a flag for each specific virus so that
when it is recognized the virus software knows that they shouldn't
bother me.

(A, and yes, it is a lot of fun that those virus scanner vendors sell
*localized* versions of their software so I've now had them tell me in
more languages and character sets than I care to remember how bloody
incompetent they are.)

Casper