Bugtraq mailing list archives

RE: http://www.smashguard.org

From: Hilmi Ozdoganoglu <cyprian () purdue edu>
Date: Fri, 6 Feb 2004 15:29:30 -0500 (EST)

        Agreed, the software based approach does not take a significant
performance hit, but the hardware approach is transparent to the user
and does not require recompilation of the source code. Therefore, all
programs can run securely on a machine whether or not they are "compiled
securely" (e.g. legacy software).

The idea is not to create "custom CPUs" but to have our modification
picked up by major vendors.  Clearly there is interest in applying
hardware to solve security issues based on the latest press releases
from AMD that AMD chips include buffer-overflow protection (see
Computer World, January 15, 2004).

--The SmashGuard Group