Bugtraq mailing list archives

RE: Apache Http Server Reveals Script Source Code to Remote Users And Any Users Can Access The Forbidden Directory ("/WEB-INF/")

From: "Alun Jones" <alun () texis com>
Date: Thu, 12 Feb 2004 18:31:44 -0600

-----Original Message-----
From: Peter J. Holzer [mailto:hjp () wsr ac at]
Sent: Wednesday, February 11, 2004 6:50 AM

Right. On Unix "WEB-INF" and "WEB-INF.." are two different, legal file
names. On Windows, trailing dots seem to be ignored, so "WEB-INF" and
"WEB-INF.." are just two names for the same file. This also
works if the
filename already has an extension, so for example "foo.html" and
"foo.html....." are the same file, too. I wonder whether that can be
exploited, too: Get the contents of a CGI script by requesting
"foo.cgi."?

It's been done before - certainly in IIS, there was a bug where getting a
"filename.asp." URL gave you the source of the ASP script.  Same for
"filename.asp:$DATA".

Alun.
~~~~
--
Texas Imperial Software   | Find us at http://www.wftpd.com or email
1602 Harvest Moon Place   | alun () texis com.