Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: ASN.1 telephony critical infrastructure warning - VOIP

From: "Michael H. Warfield" <mhw () wittsend com>
Date: Tue, 17 Feb 2004 21:29:38 -0500

On Tue, Feb 17, 2004 at 05:37:53PM +0200, Gadi Evron wrote:
I apologize, but I am using these mailing lists to try and contact the
different */CERT teams for different countries.

        Then contact FIRST.

        Forum of Incident Reaction Security Teams.

        <http://www.first.org>

        Many, if not most, CERTs are members.

As we all know, ASN.1 is a new very easy to exploit vulnerability. It
attacks both the server and the end user (IIS and IE).

We expect a new massive worm to come out exploiting this vulnerability
in the next few days.

        This I seriously doubt.  We have no indicators leading in that
direction.

Why should this all interest you beyond it being the next blaster?

ASN is what VOIP is based on, and thus the critical infrastructure for
telephony which is based on VOIP.

        No.  ASN.1 (not ASN) may be used in VoIP, but it's not what it's
"based on".  I won't rehash what other have refuted, here.  If it's
possible, it's likely we'll see other indicators pointing in that
direction.

This may be a false alarm, but you know how worms find their way into
every network, private or public. It could (maybe) potentially bring the
system down.

I am raising the red flag, better safe than sorry.

        Better to be informed than alarmist.

The two email messages below are from Zak Dechovich and myself on this
subject, to TH-Research (The Trojan Horses Research Mailing List). The
original red flag as you can see below, was raised by Zak. Skip to his
message if you like.

    Gadi Evron.

        :

        Mike
--
 Michael H. Warfield    |  (770) 985-6132   |  mhw () WittsEnd com
  /\/\|=mhw=|\/\/       |  (678) 463-0932   |  http://www.wittsend.com/mhw/