Bugtraq mailing list archives

RE: What is the point here?

From: "Andrew Hintz ( Drew )" <drew () overt org>
Date: Mon, 19 Jan 2004 17:40:13 -0500

Before this thread erupts into a flame war, it might be worth re-reading
the BugTraq charter.
<http://www.securityfocus.com/popups/forums/bugtraq/intro.shtml>
<http://tinyurl.com/32zlc>

A quick excerpt:
"BugTraq is a full disclosure moderated mailing list for the *detailed*
discussion and announcement of computer security vulnerabilities: what
they are, how to exploit them, and how to fix them."

From: Alun Jones [mailto:alun () texis com]
<snip>
I really don't know why _you_ signed up for Bugtraq.  Me, I
signed up because someone posted an exploit for my software
here some time ago, and didn't bother to tell me about it
first.  I'd like to think that isn't Bugtraq's purpose.

I'd like to think that Bugtraq positions itself as something
more than a semi-sneaky, behind-the-back-of-the-vendors rant
group, or an assembly point for root-kit starters.
Moderators, please stop accepting posts where the poster has
stated specifically that they have not yet notified the
vendor, or where the only new thing that is contributed is a
more insidious version of an existing exploit.  And posters,
please consider carefully before you post whether what you
post is going to contribute to an increase in security or a
decrease in security.  If you cannot claim that your post
will help to improve security, then do us a favour and take
it somewhere else.
<snip>