Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: Major hack attack on the U.S. Senate

From: Dinesh Nair <dinesh () alphaque com>
Date: Sun, 25 Jan 2004 03:11:47 +0800 (MYT)

On Fri, 23 Jan 2004 Daniel.Capo () tco net br wrote:

AFAIK, "hacking" is legally defined in the USA as being unauthorized
access to computer resources. It doesn't matter if the resource was
adequately protected (or protected at all) in first place or not. If you
were not given permission to make use of that resource, you are
criminally liable.

which begs the question, unless it was explicitly labelled as such, how
would the accessor know that he was committing unauthorized access ?

this is quite similar to sites say, accidentally exporting windows or nfs
shares out to the internet. a query of the server will return a mount
request legitimate.

dinesh () alphaque com                (0 0)    http://www.alphaque.com/