Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: Mac OS X stores login/Keychain/FileVault passwords on disk

From: Theo Van Dinter <felicity () kluge net>
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 2004 16:01:37 -0400

On Mon, Jul 12, 2004 at 11:05:45AM +0200, Adi Kriegisch wrote:
So if you loose your powerbook someone might boot it in "target disk mode" and
will be able to get your password!

FWIW: You can enable the security features of OpenFirmware on modern Apple
hardware, such that things like "boot from CD", "target disk mode", etc,
are all disabled.

It adds at least another barrier for people to have to get around to
get your data.  More information is available via a Google search,
but the following URL is a pretty good reference:

http://www.mactipsandtricks.com/tips/display.lasso?mactip=118

--
Randomly Generated Tagline:
I'm a white male, aged 18 to 49.  Everyone listens to me!  No matter

                -- Homer Simpson
                   Lisa vs. Malibu Stacy