Bugtraq mailing list archives

RE: The Linksys WRT54G "security problem" doesn't exist

From: "David Gillett" <gillettdavid () fhda edu>
Date: Mon, 7 Jun 2004 09:09:42 -0700

5) Does he really think that Cisco/Linksys would not test
such a basic basic basic aspect of this router's security?

Yes.  How many times have "basic basic basic" aspects of security gone
untested, or flaws gone unnoticed?  How long was port 1900 open on my
SMC Barricade?  How many "basic basic basic" aspects of security
has Microsoft, various Linux distros, Sun, and even MacOS X violated?

  Cisco's purchase of LinkSys is still relatively recent.  I've found,
in the past, fundamental code flaws in products being marketed by Cisco
up to a year after their acquisition of the originating company....\
  Just because they've put their name on the outside of the box doesn't
mean they've fully QA'd the innards.

David Gillett