Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: Question About Ethics and Full Disclosure

From: Stefan de Bruijn <s.t.j.debruijn () student utwente nl>
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 2004 00:46:09 +0200

Just my 2 cents - why reporting it to US-CERT as an exceptional "US"-case? I really don't see why US should exclusively be informed about all disclosures of vulnerabilities; not to mention the fact that I trust CERT to be reporting the disclosures to them if they find that action appropriate.

Greetings,

Stefan de Bruijn.

Joe Klein wrote:

Below is an outline for my disclosure process.

Vulnerability Found:

1. E-Mail & Call company about finding - Document vulnerability
        - Document date/time/who you talked to.
- Provide an 'ethical disclosure' reporting deadline - one to nine months, depending on the vulnerability
        - Inform them you will be reporting them to www.cert.org and
www.us-cert.gov
2. Report Vulnerability to:
        A. www.cert.org :
http://www.cert.org/reporting/vulnerability_form.txt
        B. www.us-cert.gov : cert () cert org

----
Vulnerability is addressed - day upgrade/patch is released

1. Disclose to your favorite list/lists
        - Disclose your process
        - Disclose your due diligence
                - communication to/from company
                - posting to cert.org and us-cert.gov
        - Disclose the vulnerability

----
Vulnerability not addressed - one to nine months

1. E-Mail & Call company
        - Documentation of vulnerability
        - Documentation of your due diligence
                - reporting communication to/from company
                - reporting to cert.org and us-cert.gov
        - Provide date of disclosure

Day of Disclosure:

1. Disclose to your favorite list/lists