Bugtraq mailing list archives

[Fwd: Re: [ GLSA 200405-18 ] Buffer Overflow in Firebird]

From: "KF (lists)" <kf_lists () secnetops com>
Date: Wed, 02 Jun 2004 21:08:54 -0400

--- Begin Message --- From: Cgweav () aol com
Date: Wed, 2 Jun 2004 05:01:24 EDT
I'm not a subscriber, I read bugtraq via a mail2news
gateway, but you can forward this to the list if
you want:

(excerpt from http://firebird.sourceforge.net/index.php?op=files)

"The V1.5 release of Firebird represents a major upgrade to the V1.0 database
engine, which has been developed by an independent team of voluntary
developers from the original InterBase source code that was released by Borland under
the InterBase Public License on 25th July 2000.

Development on the Firebird 2 codebase began early on during the Firebird
V1.0 development process, with the porting of the Firebird 1.0 C code to C++ and
the first major steps at code clean up. Firebird V1.5 is the first release of
the Firebird 2 codebase and represents a significant milestone for the
developers and the whole Firebird project, but it is not an end in itself. As
Firebird V1.5 goes to release, major development continues toward the next point
release on the journey to Firebird V2.0.

There are many new features and bugs fixed and the list of major changes
beyond the original V1.0 version is quite long. Please read the Release Notes for
more information."

The C code that implemented many old Interbase bugs is
no longer used in V1.5 (although it is always wise to test
a new release to be sure, as replacement of the old C code
with the new C++ code may be incremental).

(This is merely fyi on the revamped Firebird code base,
and is not intended to express any opinion on the
average relative bugginess of C vs C++ code.)

Regards,

Clayton Weaver

"The test of our progress is not whether we add
 more to the abundance of those who have much;
 it is whether we provide enough for those who have
 too little."  Franklin D. Roosevelt

--- End Message ---