Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: Format String Vulnerability in Tripwire

From: Ron Forrester <rjf () tripwire com>
Date: 3 Jun 2004 21:52:36 -0000

Just a quick note that Tripwire confirms this vulnerability exists in our currently shipping commercial versions of
Tripwire for Servers as well as the Open Source release on Sourceforge.

We have patched our commercial code base and the fix will be in the next version of TFS in early Q3 (August timeframe).

I will endeavor to patch the sourceforge code base as soon as possible. In the meantime, it is strongly recommended
that you apply Paul's patch and rebuild from source.

A big thanks to Paul for bringing this to our (and the communities) attention.

Ron Forrester
Security Architect
Tripwire, Inc.

SUMMARY
-------
Tripwire(tm) is a Security, Intrusion Detection, Damage Assessment
and Recovery, Forensics software.

A vulnerability in the product allows a user on the local machine
under certain circumstances to execute arbitrary code with the
rights of the user running the program (typically root).

VERSIONS AFFECTED
Tripwire commercial versions <= 2.4
Tripwire open source versions <= 2.3.1