Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: Immunity Advisory: Solaris local kernel root

From: Dave Aitel <dave () immunitysec com>
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 2004 00:44:33 -0500

Casper Dik wrote:

I wonder why you even bother publishing this; at the time the document
claims to have been written, half the listed Solaris revisions had already
patches out for them; Solaris 10, which technically doesn't exist yet, had
the bug already fixed in its most recent Solaris Express builds.

By our math, January 22nd, 2004 is after December 2003, which is when this exploit was first made available to Vulnerability Sharing Club members. At that point there were no patches for any Solaris, as far as we were aware. We would like to think that the additional information we provided, including a working exploit, was valuable to many members of the information security community.

Thanks,
Dave Aitel
Vice President, Public and Media Relations
Immunity, Inc.
http://www.immunitysec.com/CANVAS/ "Hacking for non assembly programers"
646-327-8429