Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re[2]: New whitepaper "The Phishing Guide"

From: Karsten Heidrich <karsten () heidrich-da de>
Date: Sun, 26 Sep 2004 16:35:13 +0200

All,

it is true that many problems in the Phishing area would be eliminated
by using e.g. S/MIME or other trusted signature mechanisms.

That is only provided customers and the casual internet user know how
to work with it. I strongly doubt that much will change for at least
the next 5 to 7 years. The knowledge of the users has to change; and
that - unfortunately - is a slow and winding path.

Just imagine your grandmother trying to verify S/MIME or PGP. Have
fun.

AM> Gunter Ollmann (NGS) wrote:

AM> [snip]

While the Phishers
develop evermore sophisticated attack vectors, businesses flounder to
protect their customers' personal data and look to external experts for
improving email security. Customers too have become wary of "official"
email, and organisations struggle to install confidence in their
communications.

--
Regards
 Karsten