Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: Dangers of discarding duplicated messages

From: Jon Keating <jonkeating () gmail com>
Date: Sat, 19 Feb 2005 08:42:35 +0900

On Fri, 18 Feb 2005 10:31:50 +0100, Maciej Soltysiak
<maciej () soltysiak com> wrote:
Users: Beware of the fact that automatic discarding of duplicated messages
       may result in you not getting the original mail in case someone exploits
       the effect Adrian depicted.

Developers: Consider using checksum of the email messages, not only the
            Message-ID to distinguish between duplicated messages.

This makes me wonder about GMail. GMail does this "feature"
automatically and I don't see how to turn it off. I have never used
this, i have always deleted the dups manually as you said.

Jon