Bugtraq mailing list archives

A comment on using CPU resources

From: Gandalf The White <gandalf () digital net>
Date: Sat, 09 Jul 2005 10:26:55 -0500

Greetings and Salutations:

I had an issue with my Firefox browser.  The browser was static, yet it was
using 70% or 80% of the CPU of the system.

It got me to thinking.  Java is a programming language.  What would prevent
companies from running a java script on your computer while you are viewing
their page that uses your CPU to do some computing for them?  Instead of
selling (or in addition to selling) advertising the company could also sell
CPU to other companies.

Is this feasible?

Ken

Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards for they are subtle and
quick to anger.
Ken Hollis - Gandalf The White - gandalf () digital net - O- TINLC
WWW Page - http://digital.net/~gandalf/
Trace E-Mail forgery - http://digital.net/~gandalf/spamfaq.html
Trolls crossposts - http://digital.net/~gandalf/trollfaq.html
Woodworking For Geeks - http://digital.net/~gandalf/woodmain.htm