Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: Hidden accounts on sony vaio laptops

From: "Williams, James K" <James.Williams () ca com>
Date: Tue, 8 Nov 2005 13:49:33 -0500

Not a Sony issue.  This setup has been documented by MS
since the release of Windows XP in 2001.

"Q: How can I add an Administrator password to make my
computer more secure?

A: Another way to make your computer more secure is to
assign a password to the Administrator account, which is
blank by default. An Administrator account is a user account
that has full permissions and control over a computer, can
gain access to and modify all user accounts on a computer,
and can only be accessed from safe mode."

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/setup/getstarted/installqa.mspx

Regards,

Ken Williams ; Dir. Vuln Research
Computer Associates ; 0xE2941985