Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: New Bug KESM in GoogleTalk

From: Cory Altheide <cory () google com>
Date: Fri, 11 Nov 2005 11:35:26 -0800

From: natalylopez380 () hotmail com
To: bugtraq () securityfocus com
Subject: New Bug KESM in GoogleTalk

Hi!! My name is Nataly Lopez, I'm a 17 years old girl living in
Venezuela; I have always loved computer security because that's also
my father's work.
Well, the reason for me to post this is for telling you about a bug in
Google Talk I discovered with my friend chris77 (#velug @
irc.freenode.net) this afternoon.
Google Talk's excellent features allow the user to know when contacts
send mails without configuring any passports, etc., well, you know
that. What's really funny is: one can generate remote errors in the
users' systems connected to Google Talk, and thus creating a kind of
DoS. So Google Talk stops working if it has email notification
enabled: it suffices to type this command in a Linux shell (nail must
be installed of course):

echo kill | nail -s Kill -r "" victim () gmail com

This instruction is quite simple, and will send an email to the user
being connected to Google Talk from a certain "unknown sender", and as
you can see, GoogleTalk Windows client cannot notify <> is sending an
email. Therefore, an error windows appears on screen:

[ Google Talk encountered an internal error, and must now close. Ok to
[Yes] [No]

We called this bug KESM, which stands for "Killer Empty Sender
Message" :) and one can easily implement it into a loop, keeping the
victim busy clicking on the YES button and resetting his connection to
Google Talk.

That's all for now folks :-)

Google has investigated this report and verified the validity of this
bug.  It is fixed in the current version of Google Talk (1.0.0.76),
which is available at http://www.google.com/talk/.  Existing users are
being updated automatically.

We take the security of our services and users very seriously, and
work to rapidly resolve any reported vulnerabilities.  In the interest
of minimizing the impact that security vulnerabilities have on our end
users, we highly encourage anyone who discovers a vulnerability in a
Google product or service to follow responsible disclosure policies by
contacting us first at security () google com.

--
-- Cory Altheide
-- Incident Response Lead