Bugtraq mailing list archives

Some new whitepapers ...

From: "David Litchfield" <davidl () ngssoftware com>
Date: Wed, 5 Oct 2005 13:20:16 +0100

Hey all,

I've written two papers available from here http://www.ngssoftware.com/papers.htm

The first deals with buffer _underruns_ , DEP and Address Space Layout Randomization on Windows. During the paper's review process I was pointed to http://www.phrack.org/show.php?p=58 which deals with the same conceptual issues to defeat PaX on Linux but, as my paper was completed, I thought I may as well still go ahead and release it. Besides mine discusses buffer underruns, too :)

The second paper talks about using inference as a means of drilling for data with SQL injection and it is based upon a talk I presented at Blackhat Europe earlier on in the year. I divide SQL injection data theft attacks into three classes - inband, out-of-band and inference. The first, in-band, uses the existing connection to get data out; the second, out-of-band, uses another channel, e.g. smtp by using builtin database mail functions; and lastly inference. With inference there is no actual transfer of data - rather it can be inferred what the data is by making observations about differences in the way an application behaves.

Cheers,
David Litchfield
NGSSoftware Ltd
http://www.ngssoftware.com/