Bugtraq mailing list archives

RE: [Full-disclosure] FireFox Host: Buffer Overflow is not justexploitable on FireFox

From: Juha-Matti Laurio <juha-matti.laurio () netti fi>
Date: Fri, 16 Sep 2005 01:25:33 +0300 (EEST)

Hi Juha!

> I have informed the vendor Netscape being affected on 9th > September 2005.

I did the same on the 10th of September - still no reply nor official
statement from Netscape which makes me a little worried.

Good to know. It seems that's their way to act.
They had a coverage Security Center wp.netscape.com/security/index.html earlier, but all these wp.netscape.com pages redirect to Netscape Browser 8.0 Main Page when writing this.

> Disabling IDN support via about:config (or prefs.js file) is > possible in Netscape Browser 8 too. Xpi file for Firefox and
Correct. I reported that workaround on the 10th of September.

I did so using both the security address at netscape.com and the "submission
form" on Netscape's official webpage. I never got any reply/respons from
netscape.

Yes, I have similar experiences. I have information that they are reading their bug report submissions, however.

Netscape uses the same rendering engine as Firefox (unless explicitly told
to use IE) and as such, will also be vulnerable. The workaround, covered by
the Mozilla Team, will correct the problem simply by disabling IDN.

Regards
Peter Kruse

Thanks for sharing the word.

- Juha-Matti