Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: google xss

From: "Jim Ley" <jim () jibbering com>
Date: Mon, 10 Apr 2006 20:11:07 +0100

"Andy Meyers" <andy.meyers () hushmail com> wrote in message
news:20060409235034.1AAAC17042 () smtp2 hushmail com...
My BlackICE stops this from XSS from happening, however changing the URL
from a .ae domain to a .com and leaving the rest in tact, I am then
prompted.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=ar&q=<script>alert("1")</script>&meta=

The flaw is very exploitable, basically any search that includes a books
result and contains script will trigger the flaw, the .com seems to only
include the flaw in arabic, and sometime depending on the users location or
some other thing (I can't identify).

Using a different search to trigger more book results allows you to much
more easily exploit it.

http://jibbering.com/blog/?id=506 and http://jibbering.com/blog/?id=507
show a phishing exploit and a gmail contacts stealing method using the above
attack.

Google still appear to be unable to do the simple programming matter of
encoding of user input before writing it back out.

Cheers,

Jim.