Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: On classifying attacks

From: john mullee <jmullee () yahoo com>
Date: Sat, 1 Apr 2006 12:46:36 +0100 (BST)

--- Gadi Evron <ge () linuxbox org> wrote:

David M Chess wrote:
But many of us *love* to argue about taxonomies and word meanings (it's
cheaper than booze anyway).  *8)
1. A user-assisted remote attack.
2. A client-side remote attack.

I.e., we can add "user assisted" as a class like "local" and "remote",
or add types (think ICMP here).

Vulnerability Types [Optional]
1. Client-side
2. User-assisted

Questions remain:
- How does one treat an SQL injection?

I think essentially the problem of trojans, phishes and poisoned data is that of masquerading.

For trojans, the problem is e.g. lack of system-attention key; for Phish, lack of authentication
protocols etc; and for injection, the vulnerability is in the input data scrubbing.

Injection requires a bug in one place: the (web-)application code.

What follows is leveraged hijacking, with perhaps masquerading as an intermediate step.

.02

john