Bugtraq mailing list archives

RE: [Full-disclosure] RE: when will AV vendors fix this???

From: "Dmitry Yu. Bolkhovityanov" <D.Yu.Bolkhovityanov () inp nsk su>
Date: Fri, 11 Aug 2006 15:07:28 +0700 (NOVST)

On Mon, 7 Aug 2006, Thomas D. wrote:

And even if you hide the file, if it hide the way you describe, you aren't
able to execute the file, until you give access to yourself. If you do this,
the anti-virus program will also have access....

Keep in mind: If it is an unknown file (zero-day), you don't even think
about hiding, because it isn't necessary. You have other problems...

=> I don't think it is a security related problem nor a problem itself.

        Remember: some years ago "off by one" was treated as useless for
exploits.

        Any type of data/file hiding (of course, alternate data streams in
the first place) can become the last brick required for some new attack
vector.

        So, while currently I can't present any workable scenario, I
wouldn't consider such type of data hiding as "not a security-relate
problem".

          Dmitry Yu. Bolkhovityanov
          The Budker Institute of Nuclear Physics
          Novosibirsk, Russia