Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: Enforcing Java Security Manager in Restricted Windows Environments?

From: jim () manico net
Date: 21 Dec 2006 19:35:48 -0000

You should not deploy java.exe in a shared environments where multiple trusted users use the same JVM. There are simply
to many JVM level vulnerabilities where one user will be able to use the very recent series of JVM level bugs that can
inspect the running code of another user, not to mention the problems you mentioned where a user can run Java shells,
network sniffers, and other nasties.

You only want to do this in the J2EE world where you are protected behind many layers of protections between the user
and the JVM.

But what you are suggesting is an environment where many users can directly share the same JVM, and even with your
security policy restrictions, like you said, I can do some simple OS parameter tampering to get around that.

Answer: do not do it. Shared JVM's only belong in the Servlet/J2EE work - and even then, JVM level exploits still get
exposed from container endpoints, like we see in JBOSS  often.