Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: Invision Power Board Army System Mod <= 2.1 SQL Injection Exploit

From: "Angelos D. Keromytis" <angelos () cs columbia edu>
Date: Tue, 21 Feb 2006 10:18:03 -0500

A better citation is:

 @inproceedings{boyd2004acns,
  author = "Stephen W. Boyd and Angelos D. Keromytis",
  title = {{SQLrand: Preventing SQL Injection Attacks}},
  booktitle = "Applied Cryptography and Network Security (ACNS)",
  year = "2004",
  month = "June",
  pages = {292--302}
}

Also available form
 http://www.cs.columbia.edu/~angelos/Papers/sqlrand.pdf

There are also a couple of papers on static and dynamic analysis of SQL queries (I don't have a citation handy at the moment).
-Angelos

Crispin Cowan wrote:
Cristian Stoica wrote:
   I have a question:
   If you use an ecryption algorithm to store/get data into/from the
database you will not be able to do SQL injections ?
   With a simple encryption algorithm, I do with php explode,
transform the string into an array and run the algorithm on each
member of the array.
There are actually several papers on this idea by Angelos Keromytis and
his students & colleagues:

@inproceedings
  (
    kc03,
    author = "Gaurav S. Kc and Angelos D. Keromytis and Vassilis
Prevelakis",
    title = "{Countering Code Injection Attacks With Instruction Set
            Randomization}",
    booktitle = "Proceedings of the 10th ACM Conference on Computer and
    Communications Security (CCS 2003)",
    address = "Washington, DC",
    month = "October",
    year = 2003,