Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: PHP as a secure language? PHP worms? [was: Re: new linux malware]

From: Kevin Waterson <kevin () oceania net>
Date: Wed, 22 Feb 2006 21:48:55 +1100

This one time, at band camp, Gadi Evron <ge () linuxbox org> wrote:

3. Staying on top of new PHP vulnerabilities has become impossible,
popping around everywhere.

What vulnerabilities in PHP?
Are implying the fault is within the language itself?
This is akin to saying C has vulnerabilites because some script kiddie
wrote a poor application.

4. Determining how secure a PHP application is, looking at the code and
for how silly past vulnerabilities were (i.e. looking at the coder
rather than the code) is now more important than the actual application.

As with all web based technologies, security should be the foundation of the application

Much like their self criticism said, PHP needs to grow to a far more
secure language, much like we need to chose more carefully what PHP
software we use.
Which self critism is this?

Some of us have been joking for a while about creating a script to
choose from different paragraph we create, and email bugtraq
re-assembling the randomly with a new PHP bug and a random PHP
application name every few hours. Would any of us be able to readily
tell the difference?

Perhaps we can do the same for linux kernel problems and blame it on C?

Kind regards
Kevin