Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: IRM 019: MailMarshal 6.1 SMTP MTA Content Filter Bypass

From: phil.mccracken () fatchickswithglamourshots com
Date: 7 Jun 2006 15:53:46 -0000

This advisory is rather useless without the actual .reg file information. It's also rather asinine, since any content
filter can be "bypassed" in this manner by simply encrypting a ZIP, RAR, or the archive of your choosing. This is the
equivalent of saying "we have found a vulnerability in the Logitech wireless mouse, whereby if you double click to
execute a malicious file, your system becomes infected. The vendor has advised us that we have a fundamental problem
understanding how the internet and computers in general function. The workaround is to remove the batteries from the
wireless mouse"

I'm quite disappointed in the recent lack of quality in Bugtraq's entries. Next we'll have end-users submitting bugs
because their CDROM isn't a fully-functional coaster for their ale.