Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: Vm ware 0day dos exploit by n00b.

From: "Eliah Kagan" <degeneracypressure () gmail com>
Date: Mon, 19 Jun 2006 19:32:01 -0800

On 18 Jun 2006 13:02:01 -0000, co296 () aol com <co296 () aol com> wrote:
Credit's : n00b

email : co296 () aol com

Erm was wondering if you could take a close look at this it is a 0day
dos exploit by me i found tonight in vmware i have even debug for you
guy's to take a look at.I hope you guy's will put it up after checking
through it.Ok the first thing is vmware use's.vmx file's as like config file's

the problem as follows in vmx file's we have to change the name of our
file.iso

Following line's ide1:0.fileName =

but if wee change it to the following it will cause a d0s and vmware will
have to be shut down and rebooted.The file has an overly long file name
as follows
[snip]

Anyone with access to the .vmx config file for a virtual machine has
control over that virtual machine and is unavoidably able to make it
fail in a number of other ways. A user could attempt to boot a
3rd-party virtual machine with a specially crafted .vmx file while
running other (potentially mission-critical) virtual machines, and in
crashing VMware would terminate those other virtual
machines--consequently this is a quite legitimate security issue,
albeit a non-critical one (as the generally accepted practice of not
running noncritical applications alongside critical ones prevents
exploitation, and DoS of a virtualization environment pending
application restart is far short of a disastrous condition). However,
do you (or does anyone) know if it is possible to make a specially
crafted .vmx file along similar lines to exploit this buffer overflow
in such a way as to execute arbitrary code as the user running VMware?
If that were possible, that would make this vulnerability much more
critical.

-Eliah