Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: recursive DNS servers DDoS as a growing DDoS problem

From: MaddHatter <maddhatt+bugtraq () cat pdx edu>
Date: Sat, 25 Mar 2006 01:40:32 -0800

We discussed recursive DNS servers before (servers which allow to query
anything - including what they are not authoritative for, through them).
One of the problems is obviously the spoofing. ...

Maybe I'm misunderstanding the problem here (but I don't think so). It
seems to be the issue is not DNS -- recursive or not, but rather a failure
to adhere to BCP 38.
        http://rfc.net/bcp38.html

One may get easier/larger amplification from a recursive DNS server,
but the same problem exists for a non-recursive server. DNS, then, isn't
really where the problem needs to be fixed.