Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: Cracking String Encryption in Java Obfuscated Bytecode

From: Jim Manico <jim () manico net>
Date: Thu, 23 Nov 2006 13:26:11 -1000

With respect, I disagree from a Java perspective.

1) If you are deploying Java on the server you are protected by so many
layers, code obfuscation is not critical
2) If you are deploying Java Applets for enterprise applications, you
are nuts. They are inherently insecure and Java applets have a long
history of critical problems.

- Jim

subere () uncon org wrote:
Hi All,

With the continuous move towards bytecode type of languages (with java and .NET being the prime examples), code
obfuscation is a topic that we will be seeing more of in the future.

Below is a link to a paper detailing how to crack String encryption in some of the more popular Java obfuscators.

http://www.milw0rm.org/papers/117

As the conclusions state, a lot more needs to be done on the subject. Naturally, your comments are more than welcome.

Thank you,

Subere