Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: Re: "Which is more secure? Oracle vs. Microsoft" (is it a fair comparison?)

From: "David Litchfield" <davidl () ngssoftware com>
Date: Mon, 27 Nov 2006 19:25:37 -0000

David Litchfield is such a respected authority in this field that many
of us consider "Because David said so" to be the same as fact, and his
mere opinion, offered to the list for free, is a gift to the security
community.

Question everything, especially when it comes from an expert. The facts can stand up for themselves. Lets engage in science, not religeon.

It's inescapable problem with this type of paper - someone's interpretation of the scientific data and what it means is actually just their opinion and without the interpretation you just have a bunch of pretty pictures. That said, if I venture an opinion I fully expect there will be people that disagree and they should challenge that opinion. I'm never one to step back from a good debate :)

(No disrespect intended to Litchfield).

Thanks :)

Stephen J Friedl | Security Consultant | UNIX Wizard | +1 714 544-6561

Tim Newsham
http://www.thenewsh.com/~newsham/

Cheers,
David Litchfield