Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: Windows DNS Cache Poisoning by Forwarder DNS Spoofing

From: Tim <tim-security () sentinelchicken org>
Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2007 19:58:18 -0400

I appreciate you replying, but I understand the Windows DNS attack well.
I'm just wondering how and if BIND protects against the same attack, and
if yes, how?

Well, as the main vulnerability implies, a sane DNS cache wouldn't
accept a record that wasn't requested.  If I ask for A, and I get A and
B back, and B isn't reasonably related to A, ignore B.

I'm not saying BIND is sane, but from what I understand, in this case
they got it right.  The birthday attack is merely another vector to
exploit the real problem.

tim