Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: Cryptome: NSA has real-time access to Hushmail servers

From: Seth <sethb () panix com>
Date: Thu, 27 Dec 2007 14:14:19 -0500 (EST)

"Kurt Buff" <kurt.buff () gmail com> top-posted:

Wasn't there an article or a post somewhere about an ISP that
maintained a canary web page with the statement "we haven't been
served with an NSL" and (I think) a date that was meant to be taken
down or perhaps merely not updated in such an event?

In the days of Carnivore, Alexis would often be asked "Has Carnivore
been installed on Panix's network?"  He'd answer "no".

Cute idea, though I suppose they would also be subject to sanctions
for not maintaining it.

Taking down a page might be construed as communication; failing to
answer a question isn't (else it's compelled speech, and a compelled
lie at that.)

Seth