Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: Denial Of Service in Internet Explorer for MS Windows Mobile 5.0

From: "Susan Bradley, CPA aka Ebitz - SBS Rocks [MVP]" <sbradcpa () pacbell net>
Date: Fri, 09 Feb 2007 10:08:33 -0800

With all due respect..... the "90 days fix it or else" on a mobile platform is being optimistic don't you think when I'm still struggling getting a cab file update on all of my mobile phones for the time change issue.

Quite frankly a denial of service on IE on a phone will get me yelled at ...it won't get me p0wned. I'm going to already be yelled at when their calendars are all screwed up so quite frankly on the threat of being yelled at scale .... right now Daylight Savings issues has a higher priority.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/932046
For those not aware, in a few weeks the USA time zones spring forward earlier than they have been. Mobile phones need a DST patch along with just about everything else....

clappymonkey () gmail com wrote:
Denial Of Service in Internet Explorer for MS Windows Mobile 5.0

Date of Release: 09/02/2007

Description: A vulnerability exists in Internet Explorer for Microsoft Windows Mobile 5.0 (for smart phone and pocket PC) that impacts upon the availability and security of devices operating on this platform. It is possible for an attacker to create an overflow state within Internet Explorer, resulting in the termination of the normal functionality of IE and a Denial of Service, should the device browser access a WML page with malformed content. Users of affected devices must perform a hard battery reset in order to resume Internet Explorer and normal device operations.
Patch / Fix: No patch is available at this time

Advisory History: This issue was first reported to Microsoft on 31/01/07.
Full technical details of this vulnerability will be withheld for the next ninety days, or until such time as a patch /
fix is forthcoming (whichever event happens first).

Credit: Michael Kemp (www.clappymonkey.com)

--
Letting your vendors set your risk analysis these days? http://www.threatcode.com

If you are a SBSer and you don't subscribe to the SBS Blog... man ... I will hunt you down...
http://blogs.technet.com/sbs