Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: [WEB SECURITY] RE: Universal PDF XSS After Party(posible solution)

From: RSnake <rsnake () shocking com>
Date: Thu, 4 Jan 2007 10:49:00 -0800 (PST)

Be careful using either of those.  REQUEST_URI can contain anything:

http://example.com/file.pdf?whatever#vectorgoeshere

For that example the request URI will be ..pathto..file.pdf?whatever
which does not match "\.pdf$".  Likewise the second one has issues,
including the fact that referrers are not always present (Zonelabs Zone
Alarm Pro, and both Norton Internet Security and Norton Personal
Firewall).  Also, referrers are spoofable using Flash.
http://ha.ckers.org/blog/20060725/forging-http-request-headers-with-flash/
(hat tip to Amit).

-RSnake
http://ha.ckers.org/