Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: Windows logoff bug possible security vulnerability and exploit.

From: "Bart ...." <need4angel () hotmail com>
Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2007 13:28:13 +0000

Dear Rage Coder,

I think this is a now problem, see Microsoft knowledge base article 837115:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/837115

Microsoft recommend to use "User Profile Hive Cleanup Service":
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=1B286E6D-8912-4E18-B570-42470E2F3582&displaylang=en

Can you tel me of this helps solving your problem?

Greetz
Bart

Rage Coder wrote:
The problem only occurs at times. To reproduce the problem, I just use the computer normally, and at each logon check the event viewer and running processes to see if a profile unload failed. I don't have any special terminal software or other logon software installed.

I find that if I wait for a little bit after logging off before logging on again, no running programs from the previous logon are present, but if I log on just after logging off, they will be if the profile unload fails. That still shouldn't be the case. My brother frequently goes on his account right after I go off; there shouldn't be a time limit to wait in order to prevent this.

I noticed an interesting thing about XP and fast user switching which would likely stop this problem. When logging on, the first logged on user is given session ID 0, as shown in task manager, but if I 'switch' to another user, the user is given a different session ID. It seems that no two users are given the same session ID when using fast user switching. But when logging off all users and then back on, it is back to session 0. And if I just log on as a user, log off, and then on as another user without using the 'switch user', they both are session ID 0.

The same thing happens when using classic logon and on 2003. All logons are given session ID 0. I did some reading in the platform SDK and some sites about stuff, and it seems that these sessions literally create an isolation. Messages sent from a process in one session ID are not visible to processes in another, windows created only appear on the desktop associated with that session of the process that created the window, etc.

Ideally, running classic logon always as session 0 'should' work because ideally when logging of, the processes ran 'should' close, so the next user to log on would have nothing to access. But this does not appear to be the case at all times.

A few moments ago I logged in as administrator to do some minor changes, and I ran EPIM to take some notes of things. When I logged of and back on as a regular using, 'explorer.exe', 'essentialpim.exe', 'seamonkey.exe' were still running as Administrator, event viewer showed the usual UserEnv messages, and EPIM appeared on the system tray. My guess is something like this happens:

Logon Administrator : Session ID 0
Run EssentialPIM : Session ID 0
Do some stuff
Logoff Administrator : Profile unload fails, a few programs continue running
Logon Normal User : Session ID 0
Explorer runs, and at startup broadcasts 'TaskbarCreated' message
All processes in session 0 get this message, EPIM adds system tray icon like it is supposed to

If each logon, even in classic mode, is given a separate session ID as is done in fast user switching, this would not happen, even if the profile unload fails and the programs continue to run waiting for the profile to unload:

Logon Administrator : Session ID 0
Run EssentialPIM : Session ID 0
Do some stuff
Logoff Administrator : Profile unload fails, a few programs continue running
Logon Normal User : Session ID 1
Explorer runs, and at startup broadcasts 'TaskbarCreated' message
All processes in session 1 get this message
Programs that may continue to run in session 0 are isolated

If I log on as administrator again, it would be ok to reuse session 0, but for a given boot, no two users should be assigned the same logon session ID. I.E. if I log on as Normal User again, it would be session 1, etc.

This would not prevent a profile from failing to unload, and would not prevent the processes from continuing to run, but it will prevent a user from a later logon from accessing the processes in the current logon.

3APA3A () SECURITY NNOV RU wrote:
Dear Rage Coder,

 I've seen unloaded profiles for many times, but I never saw application
 still  running  after  logoff.  Profile  itself doesn't create security
 vulnerability, since it can not be accessed by another user.

 What do you use to reproduce this vulnerability?

 Are  you  sure  you  do  not  use some different software which affects
 logon/logoff process, e.g. 3rd party terminal software or some security
 enhancement?

Valentine’s Day -- Shop for gifts that spell L-O-V-E at MSN Shopping http://shopping.msn.com/content/shp/?ctId=8323,ptnrid=37,ptnrdata=24095&tcode=wlmtagline