Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: Remove all admin->root authorization prompts from OSX

From: Baptiste Malguy <baptiste.malguy () fr easynet net>
Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2007 09:36:11 +0100

Hello,

About sudo in particular.

* You can force for a prompt (5mn by default on Mac OSX,) adding a line
such as the following in /etc/sudoers (using the visudo command):
  Defaults        timestamp_timeout = 0

* By default users do not authenticate on a per-tty basis. You can
enforce it with the following option:
  Defaults        tty_tickets

The last is activated by default on GNU/Linux distro Ubuntu. The reading
of the sudoers manual page is a very interesting.

Regards,

--
Baptiste MALGUY - System Engineer                           EASYNET
PGP Fingerprint: 49B0 4F6E 4AA8 B149 B2DF  9267 0F65 6C1C C473 6EC2

--

Marvin Simkin wrote:
I respectfully disagree with this proposal and maybe we should discuss it.

Being a member of the admin group is NOT 100% equal to being root. Therefore when you switch from admin group to
uid=0 you are escalating privileges. A trojan that gets control of an admin's session should not be able to escalate
itself to root without a password prompt, which requires a human to decide (rightly or wrongly...) yes I do want to
increase the authority of this process.

Sure, an admin should be smart enough not to get trojaned, but what if they do anyway?

Maybe a cracker could write a trojan that esclates itself using the powers of the admin group, but why make it easier
for those who don't know how?

The myth that it should be easy for uneducated users to expose their computers to harm is one reason why certain
other GUI platforms have so many security problems.

host:/tmp1 sysmsimkin$ id
uid=505(sysmsimkin) gid=505(sysmsimkin) groups=505(sysmsimkin), 81(appserveradm), 79(appserverusr), 80(admin)
host:/tmp1 sysmsimkin$ ls -ld /tmp1
drwxr-xr-x   3 501  admin  102 Jun 28  2006 /tmp1
host:/tmp1 sysmsimkin$ mkdir /tmp1/tmp2
mkdir: /tmp1/tmp2: Permission denied
host:/tmp1 sysmsimkin$ /usr/bin/sudo /bin/bash
Password:
host:/tmp1 root# mkdir /tmp1/tmp2
host:/tmp1 root# ls -ld /tmp1/tmp2
drwxr-xr-x   2 root  admin  68 Jan 25 11:20 /tmp1/tmp2
host:/tmp1 root# exit
host:/tmp1 sysmsimkin$ rmdir /tmp1/tmp2
rmdir: /tmp1/tmp2: Permission denied
host:/tmp1 sysmsimkin$ /usr/bin/sudo /bin/bash
host:/tmp1 root# rmdir /tmp1/tmp2
host:/tmp1 root# exit
host:/tmp1 sysmsimkin$

More interesting (to me) why wasn't I prompted for a password the second time? (Yes I know it was designed that way,
I'm asking was that the right decision.) Presumably there is a window of vulnerability for a few minutes AFTER you
have been root during which you could fall victim to a trojan.