Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: Internet Explorer 0day exploit

From: Chris Stromblad <cs () outpost24 com>
Date: Fri, 20 Jul 2007 10:22:32 +0200

Zow Terry Brugger wrote:
ideal world. Many of the advisories I look at almost always cover the
same type of vulnerability. Shouldn't we have learned by now, if we
consider your argument?

It's been a while, but one of the great things I've seen Bugtraq used for is
to look at the distribution of vulnerabilities. In the past few years, my
perception is that there's been a decline in the number of buffer overflow
attacks and most of what we see today are web attacks like cross-site
scripting and remote file injection. Seeing these trends is important because
it tells us as a community where we need to focus our efforts.

However, perhaps one/I just need to shift the way I look at advisories.
Rather than seeing them as "late" and "out-of-date", they could be an
additional source of information about a particular system. I'll accept
that.

That too. Let me tell you, if I ever need to set up a web forum for
something, I'm going to look at Bugtraq to see what the track record is for
the systems I'm considering.

are almost at the verge of being completely void. A remedy for that
would be to have the security community agree on a common "advisory
protocol" that defines a guideline for contents in an advisory. Anyways,

Great idea! Much like the RFP vendor notification policy (Which I haven't
seen mentioned in a while, so I encourage everyone doing vulnerability
research to see http://www.wiretrip.net/rfp/policy.html). Anyone care to
propose a template (presumably if someone who the community respects does so,
it's more likely to catch on)?

Yes, ideally if someone with a bit of community credibility could step
up and propose a standard that certainly would kick start it a little bit.

Another great benefit of such a template would be consistency in layout
and contents. Also to improve the educational value of an advisory it
would be neat if an appropriate code-segment of the vulnerability could
be included. Now people will argue the whole intellectual property
aspect but I seriously doubt that 3-5 lines of code are going to affect
anything.

Let's do something about this!

Terry

import standard.disclaimer;