Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: Apple Safari on MacOSX may reveal user's saved passwords

From: David Cantrell <d.cantrell () outcometechnologies com>
Date: Thu, 17 May 2007 12:47:24 +0100

graham.coles () the-logic-group com wrote:

It works for:
the same user using ssh as is on the console;
If someone can remotely log in as you over ssh then they already have your password (or worse, certificate!), so why would they try to obtain it from a browser?

They can obtain other stuff that I type in the browser, such as passwords etc that I might use for online banking and which I don't store in Keychain. Personally, I don't think that the Keychain bit is particularly important.

They already have total access to all your files, there would appear to be nothing more to gain from this.

Perhaps you do (in which case I recommend you stop), but I don't store all my information in files, and of that which I do, not all those files are merely protected by my standard login and password. Some, such as how I authenticate to my bank, are stored in a gpg-encrypted file in case I ever forget. Others, such as my gpg passphrase, live only in my head. Trust me, merely logging in as me won't help anyone get at those data.

 the root user using ssh (or someone who can sudo) can inject
 Javascript into the console user's browser;
Are you even considering what you are saying?

Yes.  Are you?

Someone has *ROOT* access to your system REMOTELY over ssh and you're worried that they might be able to retrieve a password from your keychain.

Yes, it would be annoying if someone rooted my laptop. It would be a lot more annoying if they not only rooted my laptop but also cleaned out my bank account via my browser.

It *is* somewhat disturbing that root can so trivially interfere with the guts of someone else's processes. Normally, root has to do a lot of work to do that.

 a different non-root user on the console can do it too
Which again restricts this vunerability (as previously mentioned) to an attacker who happens to be sitting in front of your machine(!)

Did you read the bit where I speculated about setuid applications?

--
David Cantrell