Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: [Full-disclosure] mac trojan in-the-wild

From: Peter Besenbruch <prb () lava net>
Date: Thu, 1 Nov 2007 13:44:05 -1000

On Wednesday 31 October 2007 13:21:00 Gadi Evron wrote:
This means one thing: Apple's day has finally come and Apple users are
going to get hit hard. All those unpatched vulnerabilities from years past
are going to bite them in the behind.

I can sum it up in one sentence: OS X is the new Windows 98.

Windows 98 has no way to isolate administrative functions. Everyone has full
access to all aspects of the operating system. I should know, I still use it
for certain functions. Windows 98 may benefit from security by obscurity, but
I would still hesitate to take it out onto the big, bad Internet.

The Mac OS is far better designed, but the option automatically to execute
trusted file formats on download should never have been put there. Other
things I wish Apple would do better: Have their security updates approach the
speed achieved in many Linux distributions. Share a bit more, heck, have them
share anything at all when it comes serious, reported vulnerabilities.
Finally, from a security perspective, they should banish Quicktime.

--
Hawaiian Astronomical Society: http://www.hawastsoc.org
HAS Deepsky Atlas: http://www.hawastsoc.org/deepsky