Bugtraq mailing list archives

Tool availability - browser DOM Checker

From: Michal Zalewski <lcamtuf () dione cc>
Date: Sat, 26 Jan 2008 00:49:09 +0100 (CET)

Hi,

Along with my colleague Filipe Almeida, I'd like to announce the availability of DOM Checker, an automated tool for validating browser security policy enforcement. The project is hosted at:

http://code.google.com/p/dom-checker/

The tool features several fairly neat features, including exhaustive hierarchy crawling and side-channel blind write validation to reduce the number of false positives.

DOM Checker had been used to find a number of major security bypass and information disclosure problems in several popular browsers, and we had worked closely with vendors to resolve them (although it's worth noting that the tool still reports anywhere from 10 to 30 low-risk, design-related information disclosure issues in these programs).

Our hope is that this tool may serve as a framework for ongoing browser security research, and would be integrated by browser vendors with their regression testing and general release QA processes.

Please note that this code is experimental - if you encounter any problems, or simply have an idea on how to make it better, let us know.

Cheers,
/mz